39. Rosanne Cash- She Remembers Everything (Blue Note)
38. Karine Polwart- Laws of Motion (Hudson)
37. Selling, Gold Panda & jas Shaw- On Reflection (City Slang)
36. Bombino- Deran (Partisan)
35. Liela Moss- My Name Is Safe In Your Mouth (Bella Union)
34. The Field- Infinite Moment (Kompakt)
33. Robyn- Honey (Embassy One)
32. Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood- With Animals (Heavenly)
31. Lubomyr Melnyk- Fallen Trees (Erased Tapes)
30. Natalie Prass- The Future and the Past (ATO)
29. Aidan Moffat & RM Hubbert- Here Lies the Body (Rock Action Records)
28. Vanessa Peters- Foxhole Prayers (Idol Records)
26. Marisa Anderson- Cloud Corner (Thrill Jockey)
25. Kurt Vile- Bottle It In (Matador)
24. Rae Morris- Someone Out There (Atlantic)
22. Oneohtrix Point Never- Age Of (Warp)
21. Baba Sissoko & Djana Sissoko- Fasiya (Blind Faith)
20. Gruff Rhys- Babelsberg (Rough Trade)
19. Dawn Landes- Take Me To The River (Yep Roc)
18. Calexico- The Thread That Keeps Us (Anti)
17. Low- Double Negative (Sub Pop)
16. POLIÇA and s t a r g a z e- Music For The Long Emergency (Totally Gross National Product)
15. Jenny Wilson- Exorcism (Gold Medal Recordings)
Makes me feel: that her ex is listening to this, feeling either guilty or aggrieved, but loving its hegemonic hooks
14. Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids- An Angel Fell (Strut)
Makes me feel: some records will keep revealing themselves for years to come.
13. Beach House- 7 (Sub Pop)
Makes me feel: suffused in a sweet heat
12. Black Roots- Take It (Khanti)
Makes me feel: that it's the summer of 1979 and I've nothing better to do than listen to this record on loop.
Makes me (really) feel: like guitar music for slackers has not yet had its day.
10. Samba Touré- Wande (Glitterbeat)
Makes me feel: I've been living the wrong life in the wrong country for at least half a century.
9. Tracey Thorn - Record (Merge)
Makes me feel: that, unlikely as it seems, enduring pop genius comes from Brookmans Park via Hull.
8. Shannon Shaw - Shannon in Nashville (Easy Eye Sound)
Makes me feel: that every foot-stomping style in musical history has been packed into this (to use a trans-European summation) tour de force Meisterwerk.
7. Damien Jurado- The Horizon Just Laughed (Secretly Canadian)
Makes me feel: privileged to be alive at the same time as one of the most prolific and under-valued songwriters of the 21st century.
6. Ólafur Arnalds- re:member (Erased Tapes)
Makes me feel: that I want to live in Icelandic isolation with nothing but an Arnalds box set. And a bong.
5. Paul Weller- True Meanings (Parlophone)
Makes me feel: That 'English Rose' wasn't a one-off, and he should have been writing acoustic songs for the past 25 years.
4. Nils Frahm- All Melody (Erased Tapes)
3. Laura Gibson - Goners (Barsuk)
Makes me feel: touched by every note, and in awe of her consistency after 2016's magnificent 'Empire Builder'.
2. Janelle Monáe- Dirty Computer (Bad Boy)
Makes me feel: that a well-designed album cover can convey precious genius.
1. Alela Diane- Cusp (Alela Diane)
Makes me feel: like I'm flying, while crying. The most stunning, devastatingly emotional collection of songs of this year, of this millennium.
From a previous life: